Sunday, March 24, 2013


I started a new painting this week and I thought I'd share the process. This piece is 20x30...almost a full sheet of watercolor paper. I'm working with Arches 140lb ColdPress. I'm not using any masking...whatsoever. I only use it if I know there is no way to preserve the white of the paper. I know I can in this, which is why I decided not to use it.

Transferring the drawing to the paper was very tedius and took around 3-4 hours (done in two different sittings). I finally began to put paint to paper this evening and worked for about 2 hours. It's going to take me awhile but I'm already very excited. Here's to hoping I won't loose my motivation! My guess is it will take around 20-25 hours when it's all said and done.

So far, for the 'black' of the horse, I've been using different combos of Ultramine Blue, Cobalt Blue, Sepia, Burnt Umber, & Royal Purple. I also went ahead a put down most of the bright blues of the metallic reflections you'll see in the tack. I used Cerulean Blue.

No comments: