Saturday, March 16, 2013

The Edge

Well, I finished it! About two weeks ago (perhaps longer maybe) I did a small 6x6 piece of a mountain goat standing on the edge of a drop off. I finished the full size painting Friday night. The full size painting is a sheet of watercolor paper, 22x30. Looking at them side by side, I see things I like about both pieces. While I love the horizontal format of the full size piece, the square size of the study seems more intimate. Both give a feeling of being on the edge of a cliff with a large mountain behind in their own unique way.

I figured I should share the inspiration for this piece. I went on a hike in Glacier and the end of last summer called Siyeh Pass. It's an 8 1/2 mile hike that loops around from one part of Going to the Sun hwy to another part. You end up gaining 2135 ft in elevation and are at 7911 at the highest point on the hike. There was a lot of smoke in the air from forest fires within several hours of the location (I think there were 4 that smoke was being blown from) but it created a really neat look. Hope you enjoy the picture that inspired this piece as well as some others I took from the hike.

My friends, at the highest point and the picture that inspired the painting.

I'm at the top. Yup, this is me!

Mmmmmmmm, Huckleberries. One of the best things about hiking in the mountains. Such a delicious treat on a hot hike

so that point, straight above my friends head (to the left of the 'peak'), that is pretty where I was in that picture with my arms stretched out, except I was on the east side, not the west side shown in this pic

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the painting. It's funny, when I saw the sketch, I figured you'd do a vertical layout. But that's the thing about us artists. We all see things uniquely different. One thing--you didn't make any shadow under the sheep? It does have spindly legs though.
Is this for a competition?
Jessica

Kim Shirley said...

Ha ha! I LOVE that you noticed the lack of shadow. I realized I forgot it when I was uploading in the wee hours of the morning. I didn't feel like rescanning & stitching it together in photoshop (took me 2 1/2 hrs the first time around. Stayed up till 3 to finish!) so I just left the original upload. I did go back and add the shadow. :)
Yeah, I think I might use if for a competition. Just not sure which one yet!