Tuesday, August 27, 2013

River City Roots Festival

I finished up the summer outdoor art fair season in downtown Missoula at the River City Roots Festival, a two day bluegrass/folk/rock music festival with a small outdoor juried art show, food booths, kids events, and a 4 mile fun run. This was the 5th year I've done this event. Bands play throughout the day Saturday and the main headliner plays Saturday night. More bands play during the day on Sunday.

The weather was actually great! It wasn't as hot as it has been in years past (although 4 years ago was the exception...it was FREEZING). I was worried about smoke (from a raging forest fire burning in Lolo) but it never really came. Saturday evening, just before it was time to close, I noticed there was ash on my tent and table, but the smoke wasn't thick and it didn't smell like a campfire.

I had some great neighbors, got to see a lot of friends and familiar faces, and was able to listen to some great bands. My favorite was Lil' Smokies. I could've listened to them all day.

Unfortunatly I closed up early on Sunday. The show went from 11am - 7pm. I started packing up around 5:30 because I noticed some meanacing clouds coming closer and getting darker. I had just put all of my pictures in the parking garage (where my jeep was) when the downpour started. Two friends just happened to show up and helped me break down. A good Samaritan also helped out! We were all drenched by the time we had my tent and display units/hardware packed down and put in the garage. I did need a shower that day LOL!

Here are some pictures from the festival, when the skies were nice and blue

Adults & Kiddos could have fun at the Clay Studio live art booth. It was fun watching people of all ages play with clay on a wheel!

Lots of people heading down to the main stage area where they could listen to the bands play...the band playing at this time was Dead Winter Carpenters. They were pretty good too.

No comments: